So, another year gone and on to new beginnings! 2016 was a great year, my son was born, we bought a new house, my daughter turned the BIG 3 (toddlers are so fun!) and my husband reached great strides in his trade! I couldn’t be happier and more pleased with how last year went by. Segway into now; and on to the new. New ideas, new experiences, new GOALS!!! My goals for 2017 include some more traveling, continue on with this blogging journey I have set forth on, it is definitely exciting and a chance for some creativity, getting more organized, since moving, my home feels more like a place of chaos for my psyche, rather than a place of calm. Things are out-of-place or still without a home so that is a continuing project moving into the new year! Although, it’s getting there! But a big goal for the New Year is to work on my health in particular. My son is now almost 5 months old, and I have absolutely, NO intention of having any more kids! (I love them but two is just plenty for this mama!) So, I need to get my fitness back on track…before the holidays I did start a bit of a workout schedule but since the holidays began I have definitely been slacking…as in every year between October and December…ha! That being said here are some promises I am making to myself to achieve my fitness goals to not only feel better but be a better mom. Healthy for myself and healthy for my family, right?
Here are my 10 promises to myself in getting my fit back:
- Eat breakfast and a healthy one! You know it is true that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and it is recommended that it be your largest meal so that you can burn it off and use the energy throughout the day. I need to make this a better habit…
- In the past, I would have said, count calories, but honestly this just causes me to become a neurotic, number obsessed, mess of a woman and who needs that! What works best for me is plain old portion control, a good ol’ salad plate works for this… so that is number 2.
- Eat as many fruits and veggies as I can stand! Lucky for me I love them both so this isn’t too hard…best way for me to get this in is with shakes. (Some ‘Go To’ Recipes:Handful of kale or spinach, Half of a large banana ( I tend to freeze these), 1/2 cup of berries, Scoop of Chocolate Greens Superfood (I like the Amazing Grass line) See them here…, 1 cup of Almond Milk Also Try: Handful of kale or spinach, 1 cup mixed frozen tropical fruit, 1 tbsp Chia Seeds, 1 tsp of honey, 1 cup of Coconut Water)
- Cut down on Carbs and Sugars! This is why they invented cheat days! But once I get going on this it gets easier. Your body really does start to crave lighter choices.
- Take my vitamins and supplements. This helps to get my body on track. Everything starts to align when doing this. Any good multi-vitamin works, I also like a Fish Oil supplement and CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid) is always a positive when I am trying to get my body back on track (I use one by Naturewise, CLA 1250). It definitely was a huge help after my first-born. It basically is a fatty acid that when combined with diet and exercise helps to reduce body fat. I am not a professional but I really do love this stuff!
- Work out 6 days a week, min 30 minutes, max 60 minutes a day. After having my oldest I found and fell in love with the concept of HIIT (high intensity interval training). This was an amazing finding then, and I can’t wait to work out this way again. With 2 kids it will be a challenge but the challenge I accept! I do train this way on my treadmill but also have a fave website for this called Fitness Blender! This husband and wife team are awesome! Hundreds of workouts at your finger tips, I am telling you, this will be your new addiction! Everything from Upper and Lower body with and without weights, Cardio, Pilates, Yoga, High/Low Impact…It.Is.Awesome! Also checkout their YouTube channel for lots more! Check it out!
- Drink Green Tea with a tsp of Apple Cider Vinegar and some honey! This is a mid day thing I did after my daughter came. It really helps and man does this little concoction give you some much-needed natural energy!
- No more BEER! Now, anyone who knows me knows I love a little drinky from time to time. Not just beer, I love wine, a cocktail here and there…but BEER is my nemesis when on a fitness mission. Sorry old pal…bye bye for now.
- Drink tons and tons of water!!! I do this pretty regularly, I don’t drink pop and may have the occasional glass of juice but when I step it up I really see a change in my energy levels and in my skin, which is always great!
- Finally, enjoy myself! Always, always, always…because if you can’t, why do it?
Now this is my pledge to myself to GET.IT.DONE! I figure if it’s stated in obvious text I have to stay accountable and do dis thang! I will follow this up in a few months and let you all know where I am! 2017 here we go…